Budget Planning and Approval Process
The FY23 School Budget proposal presented here is the product of many weeks of analysis, review, discussion and prioritization. The public portion of this year’s budget development process began with two School Board/Leadership Council workshop sessions leading up to the School Board’s First Reading on March 17, the presentation of the full Municipal Budget on March 30, and the Town Council's first reading on April 6.
Since April 6, the Town Council and School Board Finance Committees have engaged in extensive review of the budget details. At their meeting on May 5, the School Board voted to amend their original budget proposal, making a net reduction of $234,837 to the General Fund (K-12 Operating) budget request and updating project priorities in the school Capital Budget. On May 18, the Town Council approved the full Municipal Budget, making an additional reduction of $98,500 to the school budget as part of a plan to meet the Council's goal of no more than a 3% increase to the tax rate. On May 19, the School Board voted to amend their budget proposal to allocate the $98,500 reduction. Details of the approved budget adjustments are provided below.
The SCHOOL BUDGET REFERENDUM is Tuesday, June 14, 7:00 am - 8:00 pm - PLEASE VOTE!
Budget Materials for the Public
UPDATE: FY23 School Budget Amendment - approved at School Board meeting May 19, 2022.
UPDATE: FY23 School Budget Adjustments - approved at School Board Second reading May 5, 2022.
- Leadership Council’s FY23 School Budget Proposal (“the Budget Book”) - a comprehensive document describing current and projected school programs and services, and outlining the resources needed to support them.
- Budget Book Appendix - supplemental materials and line item account detail.
- COVID-related Federal Funding - summary & detail - see also Budget Book Executive Summary, pp. 6-8.
- School Board/Leadership Council Workshops - slide deck of the in-depth budget presentations on March 14 & 15, 2022.
- Budget Development Calendar - shows dates of all currently scheduled public meetings.
- Town Council Budget Order - first reading of FY23 Town/School budget passed April 6, 2022.
- School Budget Q&A
Town Budget Portal
In an effort to better serve the community, the Town of Scarborough has created a page on the Town's web site to contain budget information for both the town and the school department. Please check this joint web page throughout the budget process for news, documents, important dates, and other information as it becomes available. Click the link below to visit the page.
For more information, please feel free to contact the Business Office at (207) 730-4114.